Oh hey there, friends! Been a little while, has it?
The end of wedding season brought a large blogging hiatus my way- not because of any shortage of things to blog, but perhaps the opposite. Shoots to blog piled up, and blogging got pushed aside as I aimed to finish wedding season strong, celebrate Christmas and the New Year (and our 2 year wedding anniversary!) well, and begin 2016 with a fresh exciting outlook.
So here I am, just about a month in to the New Year– with about 30 inches of snow on the ground (that was insane)– ready to bring back the blog, and share some wonderful things to come for this sweet little business of mine! I’ve got lots of pretty to catch you up on (and I can’t wait)- but I thought the best way to kick things back off- would be to share a bit of my outlook and goals for this year. This isn’t a new concept- lots of my favorite industry professionals have blogged about their 2016 goals- and I wanted to follow suit. Really- what better way to start the year? So here goes…
Some cool things that will come this year for Photos by Sarah Beth :
- My first destination wedding! : I am SO SO very excited to be shooting my first wedding outside of the general DC/MD/VA/PA area this year in one of America’s coolest cities : AUSTIN, TEXAS! I’m so humbled and honored to be capturing such an amazing pair (you’ll meet them soon enough! can’t wait to introduce ya) in such a fabulous city.
- A big rebrand : I’m entering my fifth (wow 5th!?!?) wedding season- and with time, brings needed change! I’m SO excited to be working with an awesomely talented designer (more on that soon!) to update my brand to reflect that change.
- More travel! : Joey and I loved that our first two years of marriage brought us to live in London and Bogota- and now that we are living in the states- we are determined to see more of OUR beautiful country…and of course, we wouldn’t be opposed to some overseas travel as well. Travel dates in the works and to be announced!
- FILM! - My goodness, I have LOVED this trend in the industry. I’ve admired film photographers for quite some time, and have SO admired my fellow photog friends who have begun to incorporate film into their work. I’m inspired, to say the very least. I’ve been collecting OLD OLD film cameras since before I became a full-time photographer, but have never shot a full roll of film. I’m pretty darn pumped to announce I’ll be attending For the Love of Film Workshop in April- led by two of the industry’s most talented film photographers : Matoli Keely and Kristen Uhler. I cannot wait to share (and overshare #sorrynotsorry) all about that when the time comes!
- Motherhood and Marriage: More on this to come…
Some Goals for Photos by Sarah Beth :
- Service and Intention : This is something I need to always strive for in every area of my life. To serve others well, and to live with intention. When it comes to my business, it is always my number one goal and priority to make certain that my clients know they are loved and cared for- and that they are important to me!
- Systems : I’m very excited to perfect and add new systems to my business to streamline everything to make my life (and my client’s lives!) a little easier! Some changes are in the works- and it’s high time for these changes!
- Scheduling DAYS OFF- Man, this is a big one, only because I was so bad at it in 2015. I think almost every small business owner comes to a point where they realize that real boundaries need to be made. It’s taken me a while to get here because I’ve always kinda had this thought that boundaries meant that I wasn’t fully serving my clients, and honestly- that it meant I would lose clients. But..I think it’s actually the opposite. So this year, I’m committing (read: working very hard to commit) to set office hours, no work on Sundays, and periodic days off. My family and friends and JOEY deserve it- and I’m ready!
- Creating a Bridal Guide and Updating my Pricing Guide : This has been an off-season project since last year- it’s one of those projects that I desperately want to get done- but don’t start because I know how big of a project it is. But I KNOW how valuable this will be for all my awesome brides and grooms- so I can’t wait to cross this off the list!
- Workin’ on my Fitness : It’s time, high time. I am in no way, shape, or form– an athlete. I think I thought I was growing up (mostly because I looked up to bro and sis athletes so much)– but turns out, I’m totally not. I really love my junk food, and I really don’t like running or lifting. Case and point : shoveling snow. That totally stunk. HOWEVER. I’m inching close to the big 3-0, children are in the near future (NO I’M NOT PREGNANT), and I’d like to live a little while longer…so hello, LA Fitness, nice to meet you (kind of). I’ve been taking LOTS of Zumba classes and literally laughing out loud at myself out of embarrassment in front of total strangers- and I kinda enjoy it, and it kinda makes me feel good…So I’m gonna live a little longer, you guys. And hey, I’m sure it will trickle down into affecting my wedding days- maybe I’ll even incorporate some of my new Zumba moves on the dance floor… (I hope any potential brides or grooms reading this still want to hire me…)
- Blogging : it’s been a pretty sporadic year on this front, and I really am determined to change that. Whenever the busyness ensues, blogging is always the first to fall to make time for the MOST important (serving my clients well!)- but I love this outlet, and I love the new brides and grooms and friends it brings me- so it will get more attention this year!
If you’ve read this far- you are a total gem. There’s a lot of goals and a lot of work listed- but, I so love this “job” God has blessed me with- and I am very much looking forward to all that will come with 2016, but, it better not bring anymore snow…
Happy Tuesday! Praying you all are out of your Jonas Igloos by now
P.S. Those images sprinkled throughout this blog?!? Coming soon. FINALLY